Friday, June 1, 2012

Mattress: used vs. new



My son and his girlfriend recently moved into our house with us, and I have been searching for a new bed for them.  I'm all for recycling and buying secondhand, but I haven't had much luck finding anything within my price range.  Today, I went to a secondhand store near where I work, and I was extremely disappointed in the prices presented to me.  When I asked the gentleman manning the register if he had any queen-sized mattress sets and bed frames, he said he did and when I asked how much he told me $300.  Now this may be a good price where other people are from, but in Maine, for secondhand, this price is pretty high.  

I then asked him how much for just the mattress and boxspring, without the headboard and frame, and he told me $200.  I explained to the gentleman that I had been comparison shopping online and that I could easily get a brand new mattress for only a little bit more than the price he was giving me.  He said, "Yeah, but what kind of quality would you be getting?"  Hmmmm, well the ones I've seen on Amazon are new and the one you are trying to sell me is used.  He never did come down on his price so I left.

Since then, I've been searching on other websites and I've found this one on Overstock for $239 and $2.95 shipping:


This one is an innerspring mattress with a memory foam topper.  It looks pretty good to me, and I'm wondering how a used mattress could be better.  Am I missing something here?

I understand that small business owners need to make a living, too, and some would say we should support our local businesses before we go to the bigger companies with our purchases.  But I work hard for my money, and I don't want to pay more for something that is used than I could spend on something brand new.  What do you all think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...